Super indulgent, guilt free, chocolate protein mousse
Breakfast is awesome. However, healthy breakfasts can get pretty monotonous and it can be hard to reach for plain yogurt & banana for yet another morning. It can also be a bit of a chore trying to get a decent amount of protein on your plate.
With this super simple, super easy and super tasty chocolate protein mousse you get plenty of protein, plus it feels like a treat because it tastes soooo good!
“What am I getting from this other than a mouthgasm?” I hear you ask.
The health benefits of this indulgent
dessertbreakfast include: a high dose of potassium, fibre & vitamin C from the banana; live active yogurt cultures, (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus and L. Casei); muscle building & repairing protein; resistant starch to feed our healthy gut flora; the cacao powder will give you a healthy dose of protein, fibre & heart-healthy fat, as well as magnesium, polyphenols (called flavonoids) with antioxidant properties, B vitamins, vitamin A and other essential minerals including calcium, sulfur, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, and manganese. Lastly, the ground flaxseeds provide yet another dose of protein as well as healthy omega 3.
Total calories: 391. Total protein: 43g. Total fat: 5.4g. Total carbs: 45g.
- 1 Banana
- 130g Fage 0% Greek Yogurt*
- 1 scoop protein powder**
- 1 tbsp unmodified potato starch (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1-2 tbsp raw cacao powder (depending on taste preference)***
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
*Any plain Greek or natural yogurt will work but I like Fage as it has 10g protein per 100g yogurt – you can also use full fat but since the flavour isn’t really sacrificed in the 0% version, I choose it for its lower calorie content (57kcal vs 96kcal per 100g).
**I use Icon Nutrition 100% Whey in ‘Cookies n Cream’ flavour as it works super well with chocolate mousse, but any flavour should work – feel free to try out other types of protein powder (such as beef isolate) and let me know how it goes!
***You can use cocoa powder, but you won’t be getting the same nutritional benefits as you would from raw cacao.
- Process banana & yogurt until smooth.
- Add in remaining ingredients & process until everything is mixed together.
- Transfer to a wide mouth jug so it’s easier to pour into smaller a bowl (use a rubber spatula so you don’t waste any of this chocolate-y goodness) and then decant into bowl or dish of your choice. Obviously if you’re less clumsy then me, feel free to skip the jug part!
- Sprinkle over the ground flaxseeds for an added boost of protein and omega 3.
- Enjoy 🙂
NOTE: I eat a lot in the mornings, so this portion is great for me. If however, this is too much in one sitting, why not eat half for breakfast & save the rest for either tomorrow’s breakfast, or maybe mid afternoon or after dinner, when the chocolate cravings kick in.
Are you ready to take control of your life? Book your free consultation with me today!